URL error - FASTA format

Discussions about WebAUGUSTUS, the Web Service of AUGUSTUS.

Moderator: bioinf

l.marisaldi

URL error - FASTA format

Post by l.marisaldi »

Dear all,
I am trying to perform training on the genome of the model species I am investigating on following the instructions provided.
However, an error always comes out as follows:
Genome file http://nrifs.fra.affrc.go.jp/cgi-bin/lime_download/lime.cgi?tuna_Scaffold is not in DNA fasta format
(I applied the URL approach because the file exceeds 100 Mb, but it is less than 1 Gb)

I checked it several times and if pasted on a web browser the download starts, so everything seems to be fine. Also the file itself is ok as contains scaffolds fasta-formatted.

Someone can help me?

Thanks a lot,

Luca
katharina
Site Admin

Re: URL error - FASTA format

Post by katharina »

The problem is that your file is sitting behind some kind of proxy or forwarding. WebAUGUSTUS can only access files that are directly available (i.e. resonse code 200, your file has resonse code 302).

If you consent, I can temporarily host the file on our server for you. Just let me know.

Katharina
HRawal

Post by HRawal »

I am uploading file directly even then it is showing same error.
The provided genome file "input.fasta" is not in DNA fasta format.
What should we do now?
mehlan
Site Admin

Post by mehlan »

Please note the restrictions for the DNA fasta file format: https://bioinf.uni-greifswald.de/webaug ... enome_file

Reasons why the error message "The provided genome file "input.fasta" is not in DNA Fasta format" is displayed:
  • the first line is not a header line starting with ">"
  • there is a header line without a name after the ">"
  • the sequence contains characters other than those allowed: AaTtGgCcHhXxRrYyWwSsMmKkBbVvDdNnUu
HRawal

Post by HRawal »

I just realized that the file got corrupted with many unusual special characters within the fasta sequence.
Thanks for let me think to check fasta file again.